My rear window is where Alabama will be by this time tomorrow. I can’t believe it’s finally here!! We have my husband’s graduation in the morning, our rental walk-through in the early afternoon, then we weigh the cars (fully loaded this time), and we’re outta here!
Can you tell I’m excited?
I don’t hate Alabama. In fact, I wrote a whole post about the things I liked. Still, a southern lady I’m not, and I know I’ll be more comfortable back in the international metroplex of northern Virginia/DC. It’s the only place east of the Rockies where I don’t feel out of place. You know, being a western girl and all. 😉
Some things I won’t miss about Prattville/Montgomery?
- Long, hot, sticky summers
- No curbside recycling!
- Being inundated with conservative politics and religion. Whatever you believe is fine, just don’t bludgeon me over the head with it. I think this outspokenness is becoming more common all over the country, but I really noticed it here.
- Grocery clerks who’ve never heard of bulgur
- No Trader Joe’s or Whole Foods
- No Pei Wei or Qdoba
- Did I mention the lack of curbside recycling yet?
- A decent library with basics like online holds and renewals, and a good catalog of titles
I will happily give up my cheap rent to buy an overpriced house in one of my favorite places in the U.S. Can’t wait until Wednesday when we arrive!
[tweetmeme source=”Gwen_Hernandez” only_single=false]