Scrivener is full of many small but very useful features. I have stumbled across most of them by accident, and I thought I'd share them over the next couple of Tuesdays.
Converting Multiple Spaces to Single Space
In many parts of the publishing world, the new standard for spacing is a single-space between sentences. Until I got used to typing that way though, I had a complete MS that was double-spaced. You could use Project Replace to fix it, but there's an even easier way. Of course.
1. View the affected text in the Editor (view your Manuscript folder in Scrivenings view to affect the entire MS), and click inside the Editor pane to activate it.
2. From the Format menu, choose Convert.
Note that the Convert submenu also offers easy text conversions for UPPERCASE, lowercase, and Title Case.
3. Click Multiple Spaces to Space.
If you just can't get over typing two spaces between words, another option is to convert from multiple to single spaces during the compile process. You'll find the option under the Transformations tab.
Show Invisible (non-printing) Characters
Have you ever wanted to view the non-printing characters in your MS? You know, like paragraph marks and spaces? Scrivener has a function called Show Invisibles that does just that.
1. From the Format menu, choose Options, then Show Invisibles (affects all documents).
2. To remove, repeat Step 1.
Use Typewriter Scrolling in the Editor Window
In Full Screen mode, the line you're typing is always at the center of the page by default. Unless I'm editing, I love it because I'm not always looking at the bottom of the window while typing, but I don't always write in Full Screen. This feature–called Typewriter Scrolling–is also available in the Editor window.
1. Click within a text document.
2. From the Format menu, choose Options, then Typewriter Scrolling.
3. Will affect all documents until you turn it off by repeating Step 2.
It takes a lot of mint green tea and dark chocolate to fuel these posts. If you found something helpful, please consider a small donation to my pantry (via PayPal, cc accepted). Thank you!