Need to get rid of those echo words in your manuscript?
As it happens, Scrivener has a built-in feature that will display the frequency of every word in your document, or group of selected scenes. Here’s how:
- Select the scene or scenes you wish to view.
(As always, shift+click for contiguous selection, cmd+click for non-contiguous selection.)
- Click Edit Scrivenings.
- Click inside the editing window and press cmd+A (or Edit, Select All), to select all of the text in the window.
- From the View menu, choose Statistics, Text Statistics.
- If necessary, click the triangle next to Word frequency to display the chart.
- Click on either the Count or Frequency header to sort the words in descending order.
Voila! You’ll want to scroll down to get past the, to, he, she, and so on, but it’s worth it to have quick and easy access to your most frequently used words.
Like this article?
It takes a lot of mint green tea and dark chocolate to fuel these posts. If you found something helpful, please consider a small donation to my pantry. Thank you!